Well, I survived a holiday weekend of eating. I graduated to two solid meals on Sunday, and it is going great! I'm having small meals, on the low-residue/low-fiber diet that I got from the hospital, and they're going great. I'm so happy to be able to satisfy some of the cravings I've had since the hospital: cheese, bread, pasta, tomato soup. Such simple foods, yet such a problem at times. I'm still anticipating being well enough to have pizza sometime soon.
I feel like I'm really understanding what it means to rest from this obstruction. I feel like it's almost become intuitive: I need to rest my bowels so, for instance, I should not snack during the day on little solid foods, even if I know that I could digest them, because then my intestines are having to work and that doesn't allow them rest. I should just eat solid foods at mealtimes.
And I need to create a relaxed space in my mind and body while I'm consuming food, even if I'm at a loud picnic, and it's pretty easy to do: breathe slowly, relax my stomach muscles, sit up straight, be aware of chewing thoroughly. And this allows me to be more present to those I'm eating with, too, to look around and listen.
It's a gift to be learning how to take care of myself, how to respect my body as it heals instead of trying to bully it into becoming healthy. Thank you, God.
No comments:
Post a Comment