Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saturday

Today we mourned the loss of sharing meals. We cried, my husband and I, mourning the absense of choosing what to eat for supper together, of sharing our favorite foods with each other, of making special food for each other. How can you anticipate such a loss? It feels like an unbearable loss.

And at the same time, we know to be thankful that I am home, that we are together, running our errands together, shopping at Target, meeting friends for a movie, worshipping together at church. And we know to be thankful to sit down at the table together, me with my Boost shake, water and chicken broth, he with his solid meal. We can look at each other across the table, share fellowship, even with different food. And we are learning to not just know to be thankful but to actually be thankful.

I learned something interesting today when I tried to get to the bottom of what is happening in my intestines. My book (Eating Right for a Bad Gut) said that when the Crohn's-affected intestines have gone through a flare, the intestines are inflammed, like an ankle, except the inflammation fills the tube of the intestines--expanding in instead of out. And like a sprained ankle, what the intestines need is rest, and to have small steps taken back to getting on your feet. The thing both conditions need most is REST, and this means as little digestion as possible for a time (AKA Boost).

This was very helpful to understand.

Another interesting insight is from a new book from my dad--The Maker's Diet. I just paged through it initially, and while I feel it's not necessary right-on as a whole, I found this bit of truth:

"Don't eat when you're angry, sad, scared or anxious. These emotions all shut down digestion. When you are emotionally out of balance, it is better not to eat at all."

Very interesting. And I think it can be true for me.

Physically, I feel great today. I always do when I stick to a liquid diet. I feel lean and strong and clear-headed, like I imagine a monk to be. My body is free from distractions, free from digestion, fasting from digestion. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments: