Monday, May 22, 2006

Resting

Learning to rest is hard. Resting my intestines is extremely hard. It's one thing to stay off of a sprained ankle, because when you put weight on it, it hurts immediately. When I eat a piece of pizza, I enjoy the experience of eating it. It's a few hours later that I will experience the crushing pain of my body being unable to digest it.

But I am proud of myself for resisting even a bite of pizza last night while we helped our friends move. I drank my Boost and smiled and enjoyed the smell of the pizza and the excellent way my digestive system was working--no cramps, no gas, no nothing. I am learning the rewards of being responsible.

"For you, O God, have proved us; you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare; you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads; we went through fire and water;
but you brought us out into a place of refreshment."

This was from our reading on Sunday morning, and it struck a cord. I am rejoicing when I am in the place of refreshment.

No comments: