Thursday, January 25, 2007

B

If I had to grade my health right now, it's a B. That's pretty good! I would have given it a D or D+ a couple of weeks ago, when I was dealing with a large flare.

I'm able to eat relatively normally, just in smaller portions, being more conservative, and I'm using more Lactaid tablets to compensate for what (I believe) is a smaller ability to digest Lactose, because (I believe) that if my flare is in my most affected area, that area is the place that makes Lactase (the enzyme that digests Lactose). So, when I'm flaring, I assume I have even less ability to digest Lactose. There you go. My husband and I disagree on this point.

I'm still trying to find a way to cope with stress. I feel like every strong emotion rocks me, triggers my Crohn's in some way--pain, cramps, gas, etc. Not fun. The steroids are helping things calm down, I think, and so are the Probiotics. I'm very happy with those, especially now that I don't think they're making me nauseous like I did at first. Heck, people take them to treat nausea, so how could they cause it? It feels good to be supplementing my poor digestive system with some extra helpers--good bacteria. And at $15 for a 2-month supply, they're MUCH cheaper than the $100/month for the brandname steroids (too new to have a generic).

So, I wish I was an A+, but I think I'll only be there in Heaven. Sometimes, when I'm feeling good, I forget how it was to feel so crappy all the time. And I don't want to do that. I want to be able to cherish these times of good health and less pain, so that those memories will help carry me through the hard times and so I won't feel like I'm "always" sick. God is good. He is taking care of me.

No comments: