Thursday, July 05, 2007

Almost calm

I just wanted to do a little "emotional update."

I'm doing well on these new drugs. They will probably be the right fit for me.

I did have a moment of extra anxiety yesterday, however, when I was looking for the pills I can take extra of when I'm having a panic attack, and I noticed the labels of both pill bottles. I noticed that I have been mistaking one for the other, taking one with the frequency of the other. That means that the first day taking them, I took the correct dose, but the second day I took one-and-a-half times the amount of the stronger drug (the longterm one) than I should have, and half as much of the "bridge drug," the one that bridges the gap of waiting for the longerm drug to work, which I can take almost as needed.

YIKES!

So, I called my psychiatrist (on the fourth of July, poor thing) and she said it's okay. I just flooded my brain with too much seratonin and was probably feeling extra anxious (YES). She instructed me to go back to the initial dose amount and take that for a few extra days before building up to the next level. And she said to take the "bridge drug" to get over this hump. Whew! I was worried that I'd have to have my stomach pumped or something (obviously, I was a little anxious and out of my mind ;)).

So, I'm feeling better. Still a little anxious, but not too bad. I am learning a few things that trigger my panic attacks--one of them is high-intensity movies. Anything that gets my heart beating fast out of fear or excitement tends to get my mind also moving fast and obsessive thoughts start racing.

But my Crohn's is just fine! Praise the Lord! I sometimes wonder if I'll have a MAJOR flare when my mind gets back to calm, but I really can't think that way.

I read this verse this morning in the Lectionary, and greatly desire God's help to do it in my own life:

But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.


From Ps. 131

No comments: