A GREAT doc appointment today. It was two months from last time, and the big difference was that I am now OFF steroids (and have been for about a month). So, when the nurse asked me the usual "what drugs are you taking?" question, I only had ONE drug to say: Imuran! Freedom!
The nurse went on and on about how great I looked, how much more energy I seem to have, how my color is so much better. I had to admit to her that my appointments are usually in the late afternoon, after work, and I generally look and feel better in the mornings (at least, after I've fully woken up). But we both agreed that I'm doing better.
And the doc had good things to say (though in his usual flair-less style):
-I told him my main pains in the intestinal vacinity right now are probably related to the fiber supplements I've been taking (5 g/day). He said, "And why are you taking fiber?" Well, I thought I was supposed to be taking it, because it's good for you and because I don't have any in my diet and because I'm getting constipated (there, I've said it) every other week or so. He said that he has a low threshold for getting me off fiber, because it "causes so many symptoms," so if I have too many troubles, I am fine getting off it. I guess I'd rather try and see if it could work, because I don't want to get addicted to laxatives.
-When he asked me the usual "are you having any diarrhea?" (the big Crohn's problem) soon after the fiber conversation, I said, "no, my problems are all in the other direction." (Like I said!) And he said that he was sort of encouraged (not his words) by that, because he said it could mean that my Crohn's is going down a little and my body is normalizing. VERY exciting!
-He asked if I was planning on getting pregnant anytime soon. Good grief! He's only told me a thousand times that I am NOT supposed to get pregnant on this drug! If he wants to remind me, I'd rather he just said, "I just want to remind you that it is not advisable... blah blah blah" Anyway, he's a little annoying, though the bearer of much encouragement today. So, I said, "No, I'm not planning to get pregnant until my Crohn's is much better, but I was planning to--" and his eyes snapped up to mine (tee, hee, freaking him out), and I said "--get a flu shot. Can I get one while I'm on Imuran?" "Yes, yes, get a flu shot." I couldn't help a sucker punch.
-I told him about my hair falling out. Well, it's falling out much more quickly than usual, and I noticed it's a possible side effect of Imuran. He said that we should wait and see how it goes, because it could be a nutrition deficiency, and as I'm improving in health, my nutrition retention will improve, too, and then my hair might decide not to fall out. So, we're keeping an eye on it. Oh well. I'm glad I had a lot of hair to begin with.
So, overall, good news. And the best news: he said I should see him in THREE months! Yay! I've been seeing him every two weeks, then every month, then every other month, and now every THREE months! Very encouraging! Forward progress! Praise the Lord!
I think my challenges now are to figure out the fiber, to get started on the Omegas (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm stalling), and to manage stress. It's been stressful lately.
Thank you for your love and prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment